Tuesday, February 15, 2011

to pump or not to pump...

BODYPUMP that is :).  I have doing Bodypump for about 6 years now and I absolutely love it.  It is a Les Mills fitness class that uses a barbell as you work through each major muscle group.  It is great!  It burns calories and fat as you strengthen and tone.  It's the one class I think I will always want to be able to do.

I was approached last week by an instructor who told me he thought I really needed to teach.  I wanted to do the training to become an instructor while I was in Lafayette, but I had way too much going on while I was still in school to add something else to my plate.  Now that I am working full-time, I actually have more free time on my hands.  I have always heard that the bodypump training is really intense, so I never really acted on wanting to do it.

The training is in April in the Chicago area and it is 3 days.  The training is 9 hours on Friday and 9.5 hours on both Saturday and Sunday.  WOW! The certification I did for CoreBox was only 1 day of 8 hours and I was so wiped out after that.  I don't know if I can physically make it through those 3 days.

Here are my pros and cons for doing the training:  

Cons (ish):
-$$$- the training weekend is expensive.  You also pay every 3 months or so when a new release comes out to get the new music and choreography.  (I would get a free gym membership which would save like $35 a month AND I'd get paid for teaching the class so in the long run, it totally makes up for itself)
-The training is in the Chicago area-3 1/2 hrs away from home.  I'd have to get a hotel.  I wouldn't know anyone.  I would be away from Matt and Jax for 3 days and the weekends are when I mostly see Matt with his crazy work schedule. Bleh.
-It's my BIRTHDAY weekend! Someone needed a trade at work and it worked out for me to have my birthday off this year.  It's not a big or important birthday, but it's still fun to celebrate in some way other than getting my butt kicked by a barbell.  I'd have to still trade around some days to make it work.
-It'd be nice if once I did that weekend, I'd be ready to teach my own class.  But, no.  After you're done, you do team teaching (co-teach with another instructor) a bunch of times and then you have to teach your own class and have it videotaped.  You then send in the videotape and the company critiques you and let's you know if you pass or not.  I have heard of many people not making it through the first video, so you have to do it again.  Talk about intimidating. 
-You don't know what club you will actually teach at.  What if we live on the west side and the only opening is in Fishers?

Pros:
-I'd LOVE to teach! I was a captain of my dance team in high school and I absolutely loved teaching and being a leader.  That was a few years ago now, but I'd hope I would still feel that way now haha. 
-Free gym membership. Enough said.  
-I would get paid for doing what I love and for what I would be doing anyways.
-It would be a set time for a workout.  I'd HAVE to be there if I was teaching.  I don't really have a problem making it there now, but it would be a built-in time.
-It would be something fun to do when I'm not working.  I'm already at the gym on my days off anyways, so why not teach?
-Matt really wants me to.  He would encourage and support me in anything I wanted to do, but he really thinks I need to do this.  He has always told me I need to teach a class.
-Once I go through the training and eventually get certified, I would be set to teach it forever and wherever.  If we had to move, I could take that with me and teach wherever we go.

Ok thanks for listening to my brain-dump, I have just had this on my mind and had to get it out somehow!

2 comments:

  1. My sister was getting her PhD when she took they class to teach body pump. You should go for it. What fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you would be amazing at this!!!! I totally think you should do this! You're so thorough on everything you do that I know they will love your tape and would think you're an excellent teacher! Plus, 3 days away sucks but in the whole scheme of things it is very short and quick. And I know you could handle the training! I say go for it! Maybe you can talk me into body bump when I have Madilyn and give me pointers for all the baby weight I'm gonna need to lose ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...