I knew my husband would be a great dad. Even before we were married. His Dad passed away when he was only 5, so he never really got to have that special father-son bond. I tear up every time I think about how he didn't get to have that, but how incredible of a bond he already has with Barrett and how much stronger that bond will be as he grows.
Matt was the first one to hold Barrett since I had a c-section. And although at first I was sad that I couldn't hold Barrett right away, that was quickly overshadowed by the excitement I had to see Matt with him first.
When we were in the hospital (ok, I'll admit I still do quite frequently), I would get so emotional seeing the two of them together. I had no clue I could love my husband anymore than I already did, but the second Barrett was in his arms for the first time that love grew immediately.
Matt has been very hands-on from the very beginning. Since the surgery knocked me down a bit, he was the first to change Barrett's diapers. And was the only the one to change Barrett's diapers until I finally changed one on day 3. He got up with us even all through the night, and held Barrett so I could get at least a little sleep those first couple weeks. He gave me three jobs the week we came home: eat, sleep, feed baby. Anytime I'd try to do anything besides those 3 things, he'd get up and finish the task and move me towards the couch. He waited on us hand and foot-grabbing water, changing diapers, holding, making food, going to the store-really everything that I am so accustomed to doing and had a hard time relinquishing to someone else. He got up with us in the middle of the night to help until he went back to work. He was my shoulder to sob cry on and my solid rock, like always.
I'd say I couldn't love him anymore than I already do, but I've been proven wrong once and I'm sure it will happen again. Happy First Father's Day, Matt. We love you so much :)




No comments:
Post a Comment