Monday, June 20, 2011

no rest on weekends

I am so over being busy.  I feel like I am too busy to enjoy Summer, the weather, the pool, friends, family, life. I have been picking up overtime like no other and it really leaves me with no time after my days off are filled with working on the house, running all the errands, and picking up the house.  Have I mentioned I haven't packed a darn thing? That one extra day every week is really just taking away all of my free time.  Yuck!

This weekend we were at the new house.  Matt has been busy fixing all the drywall and I begged him to hurry and get a couple rooms done so we could get paint onto the walls. He has been working SO hard to get everything ready.  I am way too excited to get painting.  Ok, maybe not paint-ing, but paint-ed. I learned this weekend how tedious and time consuming it is to paint.  We are priming every room before we paint-the color throughout the house is a medium brown so when I put the samples on the wall I knew we'd have to prime first.

Our first painting experience together:

(DMB blaring from the other room)
Matt: "Ok, so first we have to "cut in" the room."
Jamie: "Huh?"
M: "We have to cut-in the room.  Like go around the base and the ceiling with a paint brush with the primer so we can get close enough and then do the rest with the roller."
J: "Oh wow." (confused/annoyed/bummed face)
M: "Yeah, so grab that brush and I'll show you how we'll do it." Matt gets on floor to demo.
J: "Uh, that's annoying. Let me try." Jamie trys...
M: "NO no you have to go sloooowww and be precise.  You got paint all over the base board. Speaking of that, always have paper towel ready."
J: "This is going to take forever."
M: "You wanted to paint, remember?"
After a couple minutes...
J: "I'm over this. Want to switch?"

A whole lot of me complaining and a whole lot of Matt being patient with me.  Gotta love him :). Well, ladies and gentlemen we got 3 whole rooms fixed, sanded, fixed again, sanded again, and primed! No paint yet :(. That's what I was most excited about, but it will have to wait.  Who knew it took SO LONG to paint a flipping room?! I do have to say I am a little  proud of myself though. By the 2nd room, I quit complaining, sucked it up, and painted.  The final product makes you want to keep going.

We also made a trip to Lowe's on Saturday to design our new kitchen! WOW am I excited about this. We picked out our cabinet design/color, the layout, the type of cabinets and drawers, what will go where, and the countertops.  It was so much fun to pick everything out. There are so many options and it was so cool to actually design our kitchen.  This kitchen is going to be fantastic.  I will probably just live in there. The coolest thing is the big ole' pantry we are adding in.  It makes me smile. The kitchen now has no pantry (or cabinet speace whatsoever) so this will be huge. 

Although the weekend was a lot of hard work, it was so fun to be able to do all of the work on our new house together.  I'm not the biggest go-getter when it comes to painting and all that other work, but I'd do anything to be able to be in the same room as Matt.  We make a good team.

The phrase of the weekend.."I can't believe this is OUR house!"

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...