I have one more shift of level 3/4 orientation and then I am on my own.
Woah! Seriously? Like you mean I'll be trained to the highest level of our NICU? I can care for any baby? Woah.
(link here to see my post from the beginning of 3/4 orientation)
(link here to see my post from the beginning of 3/4 orientation)
I am excited. But obviously nerrrrvvvvoussss. I feel as ready as I'll ever be. Bring it on!
I have had some really awesome orientation days. I have had some pretty amazing preceptors who taught me A LOT. I have found my own way of organizing and doing things. Yes, I have felt overwhelmed, but that's a good thing. I have seen some of the craziest and most interesting cases/assignments on our unit and I feel like my orientation was perfectly well-rounded. I have had nurses tell me I have seen/done things they haven't done themselves in their 3+ years in the unit.
I love learning. Sometimes, I listen in on the docs teaching the residents and hold back my smile when I can answer a question the resident can't. I know I'll continue to learn and grow everyday and I am so happy about that.
The best advice came from another nurse today:
"Take the most complex/sickest baby you can your first day off orientation...have a nurse close by that you trust and know that there is always someone there to help and ask questions."
love. my. job.

Good job Jamie!!! :) Is the picture you posted on this blog your picture? That little foot is SO small and so cute!
ReplyDeleteRule number one - almost one up the resident. It keeps them humble.
ReplyDeleteAnd babe - YOU are SOSOSOSO ready. Your very talented at this work and I am proud of you. Sorry I wasn't able to level 3/4 you. But you have been making me look good every step of the way.