Thursday, January 5, 2012

2011 recap...welcome 2012!

Compared to my recap post last year, this one is just as I predicted-a little less hectic.  Now, I don't think our lives will ever be not hectic, but 2011 was definitely not as jam-packed as 2010.  It was a great year all the same :).

We started off our 2011 slowly and just enjoyed the snowy (and icy) days with our puppy (see here and hereand spent the days dreaming of a home to call our own.  Matt was still working for Central Transport at the beginning of the year where he was driving a semi and working 50-60 hrs every week.  He would get home around 10-11 pm where I'd usually have dinner ready and waiting on him to re-heat while I was already snuggled in bed. (I blame it on his current schedule, but my cooking frequency has gone way downhill compared to the chef I was back at the beginning of the year).  I was still in the NICU and anxiously awaiting my upcoming training to level 3 and 4.

In February I began my orientation to level 3 and 4 babies at work (see here and here) .  This is the highest "level" we have in our NICU and includes babies on ventilators and ones on intense medication drips through their IV lines...basically the littlest of the little and the sickest of the sick.  Looking back at how afraid and nervous I was, it is crazy to see myself taking care of these babies now like it is just second-nature.  I don't feel any less prepared to take care of a super sick kid than I do a not-super sick kid.  Bring it on! Sometimes I take a step back and look at what I am doing and it really makes me proud of how far I've come and the nurse I have turned in to.  I wish I could've had a crystal ball last February to see how I am now...I wouldn't have believed it.  I know for a fact I am where I am supposed to be right now in the NICU.

 In March, my friend Amy and I visited one of my very best friends, Abby, in California! It was such an amazing trip.  At that point, we were going about every 2-3 months seeing each other.  I wish we could keep that up.  I miss them so much.  It brought us back to our days at Purdue.  It was also in March that we started our search for a new home :).





In April, I fulfilled a dream of mine and went through a 3 day training to become certified to teach BodyPump. I have been taking this group fitness class for about 6-7 years now and I have always wanted to teach.  While in Lafayette, I was always too busy with school to teach. After getting a full-time job I realized I had a little more time on my hands and thought why not get paid for working out and taking BodyPump which I was already doing. See here, here, here, and HERE.  Plus, I absolutely love being up on that stage and helping people reach their fitness goals.  It was also a scary end of the month when we found out my mom had a TIA (mini stroke).  She is doing much better now AND taking her blood pressure meds :). We also spent this month really getting down to business on purchasing our first home.  We met with our realtor and started a plan of attack.

May brought us to our first house and we ended up closing on it on the 31st!  I don't think we expected how much work we have put into it, but we've made it our home and we LOVE it.  Hard work really does pay off. So does having a Mr. Fix-It for a husband. I also kept up with my team teachings for BodyPump and worked toward my filming.

June brought Miss Madilyn Marie Hill! She was the first baby for my friends Matt and Ashley.  Of course, I was working on the night of her arrival but I quickly made the hour drive once I was off to meet her.  She is the sweetest, cutest baby girl and I am so happy she is here.  She is growing so fast! Summer was filled with weddings, friends, and family. The summer was also filled with home improvement projects galore.  More than I ever imagined.  I thought it would never end.  But, like I said, hard work paid off.  I am just glad that set of hard work is over!!  See hereherehere) We also celebrated Mr. Jax's 1st birthday in July!

In August, I became officially certified to teach BodyPump and started my own class on Mondays!!  It was a dream come true.  We had some fun at the fair...a much needed time away from home improvements.  This was a big month for our kitchen remodel too.


September was a celebration of our first year of marriage! We had a great anniversary weekend filled with touristy things in Indy and an awesome dinner.  I also easily became obsessed with teaching BodyPump. Matt also got a new job in September with UPS Freight and was quickly promoted to Supervisor in October! Rock star!  We also finished our kitchen remodel in October!  

November brought a :( (sad face) about my BodyPump classes and my gym and then December brought a REALLY big :) (happy face) about a new and improved opportunity.  By the end of the year, Matt and I were both thriving and loving our jobs, I was spending most of my free time at the gym teaching or taking classes (which I also got Matt into as well!), we had spent some quality time with each other and our wonderful families and friends, and were spoiling and loving on our super sweet dog every chance we got.

I am excited for 2012, as I am every year to ring in a new one.  Looking forward to:

-Matt hopefully getting a full-time supervisor position with UPS... this part-time stuff is for the birds (although I LOVE seeing him as much as I do)
-Still loving my job as a NICU nurse (I hope it never gets old and I always love it as much as I do now) and building lasting friendships there
-Helping to grow Kiwi Fitness into a flourishing and highly-seeked fitness studio (all while growing my knowledge base and becoming better and better at instructing BodyPump!)
-Mayyyybbbeee become certified in another Les Mills fitness program? (that's a big maybe because that's another big time commitment and some more cash to come up with...but we shall see!)
-Hopefully visiting friends in "far-away" places...Cali, Georgia, Nashville, etc.
-Working more on this house of ours...there are always new projects in store! Possibly all new landscaping out front next Spring?!
-Spending time with loved family and friends

Ok, so now that I recapped 2011 it was way busier and productive than I thought! Here's to a great 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...